I harbor within--we all do--a vision of our highest self, a dream of what I could and should become. May I pursue this vision, labor to make real my dream. Thus will I give meaning to my life.

--Anonymous

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Let's try that again...

To all,

Though I like to keep my promises (and always do with my clients), I was unable to deliver more posts since my November 2009 promise to do exactly that. My apologies (again) but I promise (again) to keep up better now. That said, business has been VERY busy in the last several months and every time I had a great idea for a new post, emails would flood my inbox, the business line would ring or I'd be leaving for a client meeting. Though I don't see any of those abating in the future, I do want to try and post on a more regular basis.

For today, here's a brief thought that I hope makes everyone ponder the importance of coaching. In an earlier conversation, a colleague mentioned to me that he knows a woman whose entire business is built around the notion of organizing your office and closets (a service I could really use!); he then paused as the connection between physical organization and coaching was made in his head.

"Emily, that's what you do! Your brand of coaching is meant to organize people's professional lives!"

I'd never thought about coaching in that context but he's absolutely right. The truth is, most of us know we can actually organize our offices and closets if necessary but often get stuck in the "Where to start?" phase as we stare at a space overflowing with clothes, shoes and G-d knows what else. Where your career is concerned, similar feelings arise. Sure—people often have the tools for jumping into or reigniting their careers but get bogged down before they even start. Swirling in people's minds are thoughts like, Where am I going? What career path is right for me? How do I best move forward and ensure doing so in a way that brings me success without throwing the rest of my life out of balance?

Career coaching, when done right, removes the "Where to start?" notion, assisting you in putting the pieces together and allowing you to move forward, toward success, in a strategic and meaningful way.

While I go ponder my own closets, let me know what scares you about moving forward in your career. Are you worried about not finding a new job? Or are you struggling with what career path would be most suitable for you? Do you simply feel that your professional career is in disarray, appearing something like the job-version of a messy closet? Regardless, how can professional organization help you?

Wishing you happy careers and balanced lives,

Emily

No comments: